SYSTRAN Translator V8 is discontinued starting July 2022. More information here
Dictionaries can be set up to show grammatical confidence indicators, comments, and other linguistic characteristics.
The following procedure summarizes the steps for creating a User Dictionary, Translation Memory or Normalization Dictionary:
- Create a User Dictionary (ND, or TM) and define its properties.
- Populate the UD with terms and phrases.
- Modify the dictionary entries as necessary.
- Publish the dictionary to be able to add it to your profiles
Creating a new dictionary
1. Select the File|New command. The New Dictionary dialog box will display:
2. Enter the settings for the new dictionary. Fields in boldface are required:
- Dictionary type : Use the dropdown to select the type (Normalizations, Translation Memories or User Dictionaries)
- Dictionary name: This name will be displayed when selecting a dictionary to be used for translation. Enter a name that is descriptive of the dictionary content (for example, “General Info EN-FR”).
- Author: The name of the dictionary’s creator or owner.
- Email: The author’s email address.
- Comments: Comments that may be helpful to users of this dictionary.
- Priority: The Priority field allows you to set a default priority for each dictionary entry. The priority setting describes how the entry interacts with other entries and with built-in SYSTRAN rules. The default priority can be changed for each entry by modifying the value in the priority column for each entry.
- Source and Target Languages: Use the dropdown to select the source and target languages. Selections will be determined by the licensed language pairs you have.
Deleting a dictionary
1. Select a dictionary in the Open Dictionary panel.
2. Click the red cross icon. A confirmation dialog box will appear. 3. Click Yes to delete the selected dictionary.
Setting dictionary priority
|1||Priority 1 entries have precedence over any other dictionary coding rule. Use this priority carefully, since it can degrade the main translation by hiding grammatical terms, common expressions, or common homographs.|
|2||Priority 2 entries have precedence over longer expressions from the SYSTRAN built-in dictionaries, but not over grammatical terms (the ones only ruled out by priority 1).|
|3||Priority 3 entries have no precedence over longer expressions or grammatical rules, and homographs from the SYSTRAN built-in dictionaries are not considered. For two entries with priority 3, the dictionary order decides. Note that longer expressions with a lower priority (4-7) have precedence over a priority 3 entry.|
|4-6||Priority entries 4- 6 have has no precedence over longer expressions or grammatical rules and homographs from the SYSTRAN built-in dictionaries are preserved. The order of use is defined by the dictionary order set in the Translation Options.|
|7||Priority 7 entries should be used only if there are no other entries matching from other dictionaries. This priority will only impact Not Found Words.|
|8||Priority 8 entries should never be given precedence but will display in alternative meanings.|
|9||Priority 9 entries should never be used and will not display in alternative meanings. Use this priority to disable an entry without removing it.
Users can also apply this priority when using the Find lookup operator if they do not want a sub-dictionary referenced in the operator to match.
Managing dictionary columns
You can select the columns of information to view in the dictionary display.
1. Select the View|Dictionary Columns menu command. The Dictionary Columns panel opens in the lower right corner of the SDM screen.
- Double-click the checkbox next to a column title to add that column to the display.
- Double-click the checkbox again to open it and remove the column from the display.
2. After you add columns, arrange their order of display (left to right):
- To move a column title left, highlight the title and click the up arrow button.
- To move a column right, highlight the title and click the down arrow button.
|ID||The ID number of the entry.|
|Status||Describes the coding status of the entry: Uncoded, Coded, Coded with Warnings, or Error Coding (required).|
|(Source Language)||Source language (required).|
|(Target Language)||Target language (required).|
|Category||Shows the part of speech (noun, verb, adjective, etc.) associated with the term or phrase (required).|
|Confidence||A read-only column that displays a color-coded indicator of the coding quality of the entry. This measurement is the result of a comparison against the SYSTRAN Linguistic Resource database. The longer the bar, the higher the level of confidence (required).|
|Proposal Status||Editable column whose setting indicates the dictionary inclusion status of each term entry, and which determines the level of priority for the term in translation tasks
|Comment||Enter comments about a term or phrase.|
|Example||Enter an example using the term or phrase.|
|Frequency||Number of occurrences of an entry in a text|
|Extraction confidence||A read-only column that displays a color-coded indicator of the quality of the extraction method used for the entry. The longer the bar, the higher the level of confidence.|
|Default translation||The original translation for the source segment prior to the application of customization techniques.|
|Priority||Show the priority assigned to this entry.|